Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I've got a peeve and a new project

Yes, there is something that has really started to bother me online. I haven't experienced it here, but I find them often in the comment sections of blogs and articles:

Messages from stupid people called Anonymous.

Now first off, the idea that you can't disagree with someone without acting like a nasty little 12 year old is ridiculous. Since when is it okay to be derisive and condescending just because you have a different thought on a subject, or you don't like something someone has made or written. And anyway, why do you even need to say it at all? Do these Anonymous people really have such a high opinion of themselves that their thoughts (expressed with all of the intelligence of a middle school bully) really matter or will make a difference? Or do they have such a small life that they need to make someone else feel like a piece of crap?

But perhaps the stupidest part of a message from Anonymous, is the Anonymous part. What is up with not having the balls to leave a name? It certainly doesn't add to their credibility, I mean who is going to take anything seriously from someone who is afraid to state their name.

Whatever happened to "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"? Or do some people people think that only applies to kids? If they need to express a negative opinion is it really necessary to add name calling into the mix? What is it about the Internet that makes people think this is an okay way to act? You know they wouldn't say it to someone's face, they'd be lucky to walk away without a black eye, right?

Anonymous tends to bring the level of a conversation down by at least fifty I.Q. points on a good day, and the last thing any of us need is interaction with deliberately stupid people.

Okay, rant over. Like I said, it hasn't happened on my blog, I've just read way too many nasty comments by people who can't even leave an online name let alone their real one; whose only purpose seems to be to make someone else feel bad rather than have a discussion on opposing views.

Oh, now the important part. No pic, but Grandma Alma's birthday is April 12th and I've started a blanket for her. I'm calling it Grandma's flower garden. It will be in granny squares, but the center of each square looks like a flower and will be in multiple colors, then green for the second rounds (I have two greens I can use). The third row will be white or beige (one of the greens is really bright and I'm hoping the light beige will tone it down), then yellow, then white on the next two rounds. The very last round will be SC in yellow. I'm using stuff from my stash and my sister gave me a whole lot of yellow and white. I'm sewing the aquares together on point and then doing a ripple border around the edges. It's all acrylic, and not real soft acrylic, but my grandma has to be able to wash it without special instructions because her memory is very bad, so even if I could afford to buy more yarn, I'd still have to get acrylic, though I'd probably choose some softer stuff. But since Target is still dealing out hours at work with an eye dropper, I have to use the stash.

I've got all the centers crocheted, and am working on the green rows. There are 24 large squares. If I don't procrastinate too much I should be able to get it done in time. Only problem is, I do most of my crocheting while I'm with her in the evening and I can't work on it when I'm with her. I have done it before, but I don't like lying to her about who I'm making it for.

Blessings,
Agate

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you about your little peeve. Last year someone left some nasty comments on my blog about allergies and the protocol for it at the school when I vents about an incident at my son's school. She didnt even know me and I didnt even put the whole thing in my post. Like I said I was just venting. Needless to say I got a little upset over it all and told her off in the next nights post..hehe

Cant wait to see your project. It sounds beautiful so far.

Have a great week.

PS... I have a bunch of yarn that I am going to get rid of. Would you like some of it? Its mostly red heart. Email if you would.... crochetnut71 at gmail dot com.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.