Friday, May 1, 2009

Mom's Day

Well, Mother's Day is approaching and so began the rush to figure out the perfect gift. Or at least one that makes her feel good. I finally decided on a wall hanging. I would have liked to make it from my stash (stash busting being a goal right now), but her favorite color is blue and I just don't have that much on hand. So off to Jo-ann's. I am sewing this project because I am using it for sewing practice too because the next project is Toria's Dress and I need to have this machine figured out.

I chose a selection of blue and white fabrics of varying shades and pattern sizes, mostly floral, and then a piece for the backing.



I decided to make a version of a log cabin block. I don't know if its technically correct but I am satisfied with the results. You might notice that the strips are different widths, I did that deliberately. I cut two strips from each fabric, one at two inches, the other at somewhere between one and a half to one and three quarters inches wide.



I decided to applique a heart from the white material in the center of the block. Here it is before stitching.



And here is a close up of the stitches I used to applique it. I love the pattern on that white fabric, you hardly see it all until it is backed by a darker fabric.



Pretty soon I will sew the backing on, but first I've got to find the extra batting I have. It's probably in my storage unit, but when I went there today to look it began raining as soon as I drove into the lot. Hard raining. Soak everything in the front of the unit hard rain, so the backing has to wait a bit longer. I haven't decided if I will do any embellishing. Hand-needle work is not easy for me right now, but I might try a little. I know she'll like it, she my mom and usually does, but I hope she likes it enough to put it up somewhere too.

1 comment:

Queer by Choice said...

What a beautiful wall hanging!

I just wanted to let you know that I've been creating a list of Yuba-Sutter area blogs at http://yubasutter.wikispot.org/Blogs. I added yours to the list, but if for any reason you don't want it to be listed or you want it listed in a different way, feel free to edit the list. (It's a local wiki, so anyone can edit the page, with or without registering.)