Sunday, April 26, 2009

Practice Makes Better

Okay, so I wrote last time that I was going to make Toria's Tea Party dress. But my skills with the sewing machine are awful. If my hands didn't hurt so much I would probably just do it by hand. But I have to use the machine. So, I have decided to practice. Little projects, easy projects, so I can get at least a little better at machine sewing.

I bought the current issue of Sew Simple Magazine. There is a pattern to make a billfold. I needed a new wallet so I chose it. First problem. They used laminated cotton. I've never heard of laminated cotton. It is supposed to be like oil cloth, but the local fabric store didn't have any. Since I want to stash bust anyway, I raided my stuff and chose a knit I bought a long time ago with a geisha pattern on it. I used fusible interfacing to stiffen it up and cut down on stretch. Then I used one of the scrap pieces I bought in Fort Bragg last month, a batik in blue with what looks like bamboo images on it. The blue was simialr to one in the knit and the bamboo fit with theme, so I gave it a shot. An interesting pairing I admit, but I like it. It didn't take too long to make, a couple of hours but that's because I spend a lot of time arguing with the machine. Here is the finished product.



Its not bad. Even though I missed the seam allowance in the pattern I got it right on a guess. I did however put the elastic on the wrong side when I sewed it. It's supposed to be beside the ribbon accents, but it isn't. It's also off center, so I put the button a little higher to even it out. May make the billfold slip off center, but oh well.



I've already filled it up and am using it, because I do like it. I even like the fabrics together.



But the sewing is questionable. Oh it will stay together, but take a look at those stitches. I used the wrong thread (rayon- it shredded every once in a while) an old needle (yes, I use needles until they break, which I am surprised didn't happen this time), the wrong size needle (It was really thick with the two fabics and the interfacing so the needle would slide too far and jam) and sometimes the wrong thread tension which I am still trying to figure out how to use. I'll figure it out.



My sis wants a bag to carry her MP3 player (and its accessories) in and wants the same geisha fabric too. So I have another practice item to work on. Hopefully, I'll figure out the things I did wrong this time. I really want Toria's dress to be nice, that includes and stitches that might show in the finished product. We'll see what happens with the bag.

No comments: