Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grandma's B-day, Oh And Easter Too



April 12, was Grandma's 91st B-day. So we took her out of the nursing home for the day to celebrate. It was Easter too, but really, for the most part, we were celebrating Grandma. I mean 91, come on, so much more worth the celebrating.

Grandma is my Dad's mom. She was living with us at Mom's house up until the end of January when a particularly frightening seizure made it clear we could no longer help her. She didn't care much for the home at first and sometimes forgets she lives there and wants to go home (the home she shared with grandpa in Chester more than a decade ago), but mostly she has adjusted.

She never wants anything as a gift, which we all hate because we love to give gifts. Up until Saturday night I hadn't gotten her anything except a plastic egg I decorated with flowers and ribbon and filled with Chocolate Kisses (I also made ones for Mom and my sister), but I really wanted to make her something, but with limited time and hurting hands I had to go small. Inspiration came in a book club catalog featuring a book of crocheted food. I thought about doing a slice of cake, but instead opted for a cupcake. I searched my stash for a suitable color combination and crocheted my first cupcake. It has its faults but Grandma liked it.





She only stayed a few hours. A really big meal, picture time, two kinds of dessert and warm weather (we were outside under an awning in the backyard) left her a little sleepy and she was ready to leave. By the time I got back from taking her home, I was ready to sleep as well.

It was a good day, we all enjoyed it, and so did Grandma, and that is the most important part.

Blessings,
Agate

No comments: